Saturday, February 7, 2009

Snotty Kisses and Dead Bodies

So, what do you do when your absolutely precious 21-month old climbs in your lap to give you mouth kisses over and over? Usually I'd be bursting with joy and relishing every sweet baby kiss. However, an inch-long line of thick, yellow snot coming out of each of Frito's nostrils, spreading over her lips and covering her chin has a tendency to temper my enthusiasm. I've settled on being upbeat and cheery about it and teasing her with "yuckies" and "ew, grosses" as I smile and turn my head. It works in that it keeps her from actually kissing me but it kind of backfires in that she now thinks it's a game and her goal is to work at it as long as necessary to land one.

She got one on my cheek earlier and she even pointed at the smear and said, "Ewwww." That didn't seem to clue her in though that mayhaps I don't actually WANT her snot on my face because she kept going.

The Nut was just partially released from exile in her room due to atrocious behavior on a school field trip on Thursday. Any new experience sends her into a tailspin and puts her energy (and mouth) on overdrive so I was anticipating troubles. And she didn't disappoint. The outing was to a garden/nature preserve in our area. I'll leave out all the details of her behavior except for one........they took a boat ride and were getting a lecture on all the various flora and fauna and wildlife and the guide asked if the kids could guess what all sorts of things were in the water. One of the kids said 'alligators' and one said 'fish.' Apparently The Nut thought it would be appropriate to mention that there were probably dead bodies down there too.

In case you hadn't noticed, she tends to be very "matter-of-fact" about things and probably had no idea people would find that disturbing. And she's right........there probably ARE bodies down there. We tried to explain why it's best to not say that sort of thing, especially with other kids around, but I have a feeling it went right over her head.

She's like me in that respect. I've never understood not talking about factual things just because they may be unpleasant. I don't find it disturbing. What I find disturbing are the things people make up that are unpleasant. Acknowledging things that are real, no matter how bad they may be, is just part of life. Inventing things that are disgusting, for whatever reason, is the sign of a disturbed mind.

I don't believe she got in trouble for the actual comment, which I'm glad about, but I understand the teacher feeling the need to mention it. We just really need to work on her "filter." Which is going to be nearly impossible for me since I lack one myself.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on that whole "filter" thing. Don't see it happening!

    ReplyDelete