Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today Sucked Too

But for different reasons than yesterday. Frito managed to work her fingers into the inner workings of her carseat and get them stuck between two pieces of metal. I didn't know her hand was stuck and pulled her arm out of the strap and her hand POPPED out and she screamed and 3 fingers were red and swollen and 1 was cut. :o( I felt awful because she had been crying off and on the entire way home and I didn't know why. So that solidifies my loss of the mother of the year award. There's always next year.

And....we're having issues with The Nut's teacher. The Nut has been coming home with work in her backpack with no instructions on how it's to be done or when or even IF it's supposed to be turned back in. There had been papers sent home at the beginning of the year that explained how the routine went such as spelling and vocabulary being sent home Monday to be worked on all week for a test on Friday. Home readers sent home Monday to be signed and turned in on Thursday. Lately The Nut has been telling us some different things and we argue with her and it ends in a fight and us forcing her to do it our way because that's what we've been told by the teacher.

Well, I sent a note today asking about it and got a call back where she essentially said that the second half of the school year she expects the students to be responsible for their own homework and she tells them multiple times throughout the day about their assignment and The Nut just needs to learn to pay attention. These are 1st graders we're talking about. I told her I disagreed with that and she said she's been teaching for 6 years and knows what 6-year olds are capable of. How do you argue with that? There was nothing sent home to let parents know that she would be changing the routine in the middle of the year and nothing to let us know what we're supposed to be enforcing. How many parents are going to believe their 6-year old when that child starts saying they're supposed to be doing things differently? Not many I would guess.

At any rate, I've been irritated all day about it. To add insult to injury The Nut came home today with a paper for me to sign that said the students should be reading 60 words per minute by the end of the school year and they were tested today. This is the story they read that they were supposed to be able to read fluently:

One day, Tess Tiger went to visit Vic Hippo. Vic packed a big basket for a picnic at the pond. "You bring the lunch," said Tess. "I'll bring these very important things." Vic just nodded.
They started up the path. It was a very hot day. All of a sudden, Vic felt sick. "Sit under my umbrella," said Tess. "I'll fan you, too." "Thanks," said Vic.
When Vic felt better they went off to the pond. All of a sudden, Vic stopped and cried, "Oh no! I forgot the basket!" "I'll go back and get it," said Tess. "You go on." Tess dropped some pebbles as she walked. She found the picnic basket and started back.

Anyway. I'm just frustrated because it seems they expect so much at such a young age nowadays. I wish I had it in me to homeschool but I just keep holding out hope that each year will be an improvement and things will be better.

I wish I had something funny to report but I'm not if a funny mood today. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment